Thursday 12 March 2009

Organic Farmer

Well, we're going on our half-year mark in Cambridge and I am still not gainfully employed. BUT I am finding ways to amuse myself. This week I started volunteering on an organic farm called Prospects Trust at Snakehall Farm. The farm operates by working with people who have learning disabilities to provide training and work opportunities in horticulture and organic market gardening. I started volunteering because I wanted to learn more about local organic farming practices, but instead I am learning more about British culture! For starters, the developmentally disabled people I've been working with are by far the friendliest Brits I've encountered!

For example, yesterday I worked with a young man named Joel, who has impaired speech and movement, and is one of the kindest people I've ever met. He wanted to make me feel welcome in the group so challenged me to a game of American pool - they usually play an incomprehensible game called Snooker. I warned him that I am terrible at pool and he promised not to make fun of me. What followed can only be described as a rout! Joel sank the 8 ball when I still had 4 or 5 balls on the table. He kept his word not to make fun of me and came over to demonstrate to me how one aims during a game of pool so that the balls go in the pockets. I must have looked very confused during this explanation because then Anna, a spectator with Down Syndrome, came over to intervene. She leaned in to quietly tell him, "Joel, you have to speak slowly. She's American."

Wow. I always suspected that I am more disabled in this country than most folks, and now I know I am! I'll keep you updated on my progress.

1 comment:

Matt said...

HA! This had me laughing so hard. "She's American," of course!