Wednesday 1 April 2009

Happy 20th Best Friend Anniversary!


Twenty years ago to the day, one of the most important events in my life took place. I had recently become friends with a fiery little person named Kate Horvath and we had a play date at my house on April Fool's Day. Kate trudged over to my house on that chilly day in Superior, Wisconsin and began peeling off her many layers of clothing and revealed, to my horror, that she was wearing one half of a Best Friends necklace. For those of you who were not a pre-teen girl in the 80s, the Best Friend necklace was the epitome in fashion. The pendant was shaped like a heart, stamped with the words "best friends" and then broken in two so that each member of the duo could wear half and then fit them together to affirm their undying devotion. The fact that Kate was wearing this necklace could only mean one thing, she was taken! We would never be best friends! My heart sank. I asked her where she got the necklace and she said that she had found it in the gutter on her way over to my house. Slightly comforted, I dropped the subject and we proceeded with our play date. Then, out of the blue, she cried, "April Fools!" and pulled out a small box. I opened it...and there it was...the other half of the necklace. I looked at her and then she proposed: "Will you be my best friend?" And the rest is history! Here is the rare footage of that magical day: April 1, 1989! Those of you who attended our wedding last summer, may remember her as my beautiful maid of honor. Happy BFA, Kate! Can't wait for the next 20!

1 comment:

Matt said...

That's what you are doing in this picture! I remember having seen this many times before, but I don't think I knew it was such a momentous occasion.