Wednesday 29 April 2009

Stonehenge

We are now entering our personal tourist season, starting with a visit from our friend, Laurel, from Pasadena. Laurel and I left George slaving away in Cambridge and did a driving tour of southwest England. Our first stop was the famous historic site of Stonehenge. I had mixed feelings about going there because it seemed so touristy and overdone...boy was I wrong! As soon as we drove around the corner and glimpsed the famous stones, we both got the chills! Despite the fact that I've seen a million pictures of it, I couldn't imagine the scale of it or how out of place it would seem in the landscape. It didn't hurt that we were there on a stormy day...it really added to the mystery!

I particularly like the detail in this picture...can you see the small triangle on top of the column in the foreground? All of the columns have these and they fit into notches in the lintels (crosspieces) on top of the columns! How can something like Stonehenge have been erected in 2500BC? Using only stone tools? With the nearest stone source in Wales? Crazy!!! It really does make you think about our place in human history...


And now for some fun with World Heritage Sites...if you want to see more pictures, please check out Our Albums to the right. I'll post more on the rest of our trip soon...

No comments: